- 1 Battery Reconditioning – Introduction
- 2 Reconditioning of Hybrid Batteries
- 3 Car batteries reconditioning
- 4 Car batteries reconditioning – Lead Acid Battery
- 5 Laptop Battery Reconditioning
- 6 NiCad Battery Reconditioning
- 7 Summary
Battery Reconditioning – Introduction
Battery Reconditioning: Most people consider old batteries to be useless. They believe it must be thrown away since it is old and no more useful. But while these set of people have this type of mindset, there is a great opportunity for you to save some money and get your old battery to function like a new one. We will discuss how you can recondition your old battery that seems useless. Surprisingly, it will work like a brand new battery. You can also sell the refurbished battery. Read on to know how.
Is Battery Reconditioning a simple task? The answer is yes it is. In fact, it is a procedure that anyone can undertake. Though you will have to sacrifice your time and acquire some gadgets, the end result makes the whole process worth the effort. The old battery will have and function in the same capacity as the new one.
We will show you some tips on how to recondition old batteries below. You will learn about how to recondition just about any type of battery.
When reconditioning an old battery, you will achieve these three thing; save money, make your old battery function as a brand new one and prevent pollution (1). Earth would be healthier with low pollution. By reconditioning your old batteries you will have the opportunity to lower the effect old disposed batteries by at least 50%.
Reconditioning of Hybrid Batteries
Hybrid cars are rated among the best in the world. They have just two major components and are quite simple. These two major components are the battery and electric motor. The battery in some of the hybrid cars lasts longer, almost 200.00 miles.
While you are still under warranty, it is the manufacturer’s duty to replace the battery if it develops a fault. But unfortunately, the battery may not become damaged under this period. That means you have to order for a brand new battery and take care of the expenses out of pocket. The cost could be above $3,000.
Instead of spending this huge amount of money, it would be better to recondition that old battery and get it to function optimally. The process is very simple and easy to understand. Know that hybrid battery types have modules. You’ll find more modules in some cars and less in others. But all the modules are based on one principle. For instance, there are 28 modules in a Toyota Prius. Manufacturers don’t just replace an old battery and throw it away. They usually repair and resell it.
So the good news is that you can also learn how to refurbish an old battery. You can get the battery to last longer by replacing the module. You will only spend $700 or less out of pocket for this process, which is cheaper than purchasing a brand new one. The refurbished battery might function for another 5-7 years.
Car batteries reconditioning
The car battery is one expensive component in every car. So it is nice that you can recondition your old battery and get it to function like a brand new one. In addition, know that a refurbished battery will possess about 70% of the power that a new unit has. Follow these procedures to know how to refurbish your battery:
What you require: Battery charger, voltmeter, distilled water and syringe
- After removing the battery from the car, ensure the rubber protecting the caps is removed carefully. Also takeaway the caps. Battery caps may vary some might have between 6-7 caps. Make sure everything is removed.
- The battery should be filled with distilled water and after that recharged. The caps should not be placed back, then charge the battery for at least an hour. Bubbles should appear on the battery holes.
- If bubbles do not appear, then reverse the positive and negative wires. After that, exercise patience for at least 2 minutes. The bubbles should appear at this time. Place the wires in the actual position and charge battery for extra 30 minutes.
- You can go ahead and replace the battery acid; the new acid should be mixed with distilled water. After mixing it, charge the battery for a couple of hours. You should get a battery that would last for years if this method is done successfully.
You can try these video to know the 100% proven method.
Car batteries reconditioning – Lead Acid Battery
Battery Reconditioning your damaged lead battery is a wise choice because the battery itself is quite expensive. Also, since fixing an old or damage lead battery is possible, you will not only save money but extend the life of the battery when you recondition one. The only limitation is the damage in it because the inside in it is dangerous. So follow these steps to do it right.
- Remove your battery from where its position and open all the caps. Most of the lead batteries come with rubber protection but you can take this off easily. You can take away all its caps and return only after you are through with the process.
- You may discover that the main issue the battery isn’t working well is because it lacks distilled water. In such cases, added distilled water to make it up and recharge. Remember not to place the caps yet. And when measured using a voltmeter, the volts should be between 13 – 14 volts.
- If there is no solution after trying this, then you need to use other aggressive methods. Buy a new acid pack and completely replace the battery’s acid. Add distilled water. After this is completed, repeat the process and charge the battery for a while. You are going to get a brand new battery after this.
Also, remember that battery charging should take about 10 – 12 hours that is if you are using a charger that charges slowly. If the charger is quick, then charging should not exceed 6 hours. For best results, while charging, use a voltmeter to measure the battery.
Remember to put on your gloves and goggles since you are dealing with an acid of this sort that is very harmful. Also do the same thing if you are changing the acid of the battery.
Having 100% functioning capacity of your battery would not be possible when the cells of the battery were already damaged. But 70% of the new battery power can be recovered. Most batteries can work well with a capacity of 70% because this can power most of their applications.
Laptop Battery Reconditioning
Is the laptop battery reconditioning possible? The answer is yes. There are numerous ways to achieve this though most of them are time-consuming. Laptop battery reconditioning is worth it because a brand new battery can be very expensive. Instead of spending such huge amount of money for a brand new battery out of pocket, why not recondition the old one you have?
The battery reconditioning process is quite simple. It is something anyone can do even without guidance. However, laptops with removable batteries tend to be much easier for this process compared to the ones that cannot be removed. These in this post are more successful for non-removable batteries.
Also, these solutions should not be used on a brand new battery because the battery will be damaged. It is possible for you to recondition your old battery to last long. And interestingly, all the solutions for reconditioning such batteries cost nothing.
- Remove your old laptop battery and place in a plastic bag.
- Place the battery in a freezer and let it stay there for at least 12 hours. Take it off the bag and ensure it is well cleaned.
- Mount it in your laptop and recharge it fully
- If the refurbished battery isn’t leaking or you did not find acid around, then this process will be very successful. You can also repeat the process for a couple of times.
There are laptops that you must reset if you want to enhance the battery life. The process is very simple but not the most effective. It is basically more of laptop recalibration than battery reconditioning. But many have accepted that this solution is very effective.
- Recharge the laptop battery to when it is fully charged. Laptop should be left for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Unplug the laptop, allow the battery to go completely empty and let the laptop turn off completely.
- Let it remain in this state for at least 5 hours.
- Charge the battery until it gets to 100% full. With this solution, your battery life will be increased.
Reducing laptop temperature tends to play a vital role in enhancing battery life. What you have to do is to get a cooler and place the laptop there. Battery and laptop temperature will be reduced with this and battery will also last longer.
Solution 4 (Recommended Video)
There are laptops that you must reset to enhance the battery life. The process involved is very simple but not the most effective. It is basically more of laptop recalibration than battery reconditioning. But many have accepted that this solution is very effective.
This is another solution, though weird but quite simple. You can only do this if your laptop battery is removable. You need to plug your laptop to a power source and allow it to charge. When the battery is fully charged, remove it from the laptop. Your laptop should be able to function well without a battery otherwise this process will not be effective. But if it can, then be rest assured that the life of your battery will improve.
Here goes another solution, though weird but quite simple. You can only do this if your laptop battery is removable. You need to plug your laptop to a power source and allow it to charge. When the battery is fully charged, then you have to remove it from the laptop. Your laptop should be able to function well without a battery, otherwise, this process will not be effective. But if it can, then be rest assured that the life of your battery will improve.
NiCad Battery Reconditioning
NiCad batteries are among the types of batteries that work well once reconditioned. But the first thing you must do is to find out the reason they got damaged. These batteries become damaged when sulfur crystals move up to both terminals, thus preventing them from charging. But the good thing is that you can solve this type of problem and make your battery to last longer. Also, the procedure involved is quite simple.
- Get the capacitor of a flash camera. Cheap cameras are very easy to find. You can buy one just to dismantle and make use of the parts.
- Mount a switch and battery holder to the capacitor. The wires should be placed on the black cylinder and connected with the switch and battery holder.
- All wires should be insulated and prevented from touching anything that is a good conductor.
- The alkaline battery should be placed in the capacity while the NiCad battery should be placed in the holder that was added before.
- Press the switch for the LED light to glow. The step should be repeated. And do not forget that a sound will be produced to indicate that the sulfur crystal has been destroyed. Once it is destroyed, it means the battery is ready for use.
The good thing is that you can use the gadget you made for reconditioning any NiCad battery for as long as you want. The process looks complicated but very simple.
There are many reasons for you to learn how to recondition a battery. It will have a positive impact on your immediate environment and planet earth in general. You will also save some money and extend the lifespan of your old and almost forgotten battery. Also, the procedures involved are very simple to understand and do.